Even though a bong is many consumers’ favourite cannabis gear, it’s not a rare case that users are not sure how to properly clean a bong and how often they should do it.
Also, many users, whether they are experienced marijuana consumers or newbies who have just learned how to use a bong, don’t understand the importance of keeping the bong clean.
Why Should You Clean a Bong?
Whether it is made out of glass or silicone, there are several reasons why it is important to clean a bong.
First, the dirt in the bong can cause vapour to taste and smell bad, which affects the whole cannabis experience.
For instance, if you buy a cannabis strain because of its specific taste and flavour, you will be unable to feel them clearly because it will be mixed with the odour of dirty bong. The build-up grime in a bong can distort the taste and flavour of any cannabis strain.
The built-up in the bong distorts the taste and flavour of weed.
Second, if the water in the bong isn’t regularly replaced with a fresh one, it can become filthy and potentially dangerous.
Stagnant water in bongs can become the home of mold, various bacteria and microorganisms, the things that no one would want to inhale.
Not cleaning your bong regularly makes your bong filthy and prone to various microorganisms.
Next, when you don’t clean your bong frequently, it can get very nasty and you will have to put more time and effort into cleaning it so it could be used again.
Last but not the least, a freshly clean, ready-to-use bong looks way better than the gross, smelly one wherever it is placed in the room.
Now, when we explained the importance of keeping the bong clean, let’s find out how often you should clean a bong.
How Often Should Bong Be Cleaned?
The answer to this question depends on how often someone uses a bong.
If you use a bong daily or a couple of times a week, you should clean it two or three days apart and change the water with each use.
When used regularly, a bong gets dirty faster, and after a couple of days you can see the yellow ring from dirt residue in the chamber of the bong.
If you use it once in a while, you should clean it after you use it and place it somewhere where dust won’t accumulate on the bong surface so it could be ready for the next smoking session.
Cleaning a bong after every will make the process easier and it will make your bong last longer.
With all this being said, the best advice is to clean the bong after every usage. This way, the dirt and dust will be removed, and the glass will be ready for the next use.
Also, it is important to mention that after every cleaning you should dry out your glass and parts of the bong, because a wet surface is a good base for growing bacteria.
This is not the case only with bongs but with all cannabis gear. Regular cleaning is a part of the maintenance that will keep the cannabis accessories and gear in their best shape.
How To Clean a Bong?
There are several ways in which you can clean a bong. There are many different cleaning kits for bongs on the market. These usually include cleaning solutions, brushes, cleaning caps or wipes.
Bong can also be cleaned with household items, and here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it in your home with baking soda and vinegar.
What will you need:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Ziplock bags
- Small brushes and/or cotton swabs
- Cleaning gloves
Bong Cleaning: Step-by-Step Guide
- First, carefully dissemble your bong – remove all attachable parts of the bong.
- Then, pour out the old water from the bong, and rinse the bong and its parts with warm water. This will remove some of the dirt.
- Place the parts of the bong (such as bowl and downstem) in separate ziplock bags. Now it’s time to put on the cleaning gloves and start cleaning with vinegar.
- Fill the ziplock bags with vinegar to cover the parts of the bong and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda into each bag. Shake the bags for about five minutes.
- When you are finished with shaking, take the parts of the bong out of the bags and thoroughly rinse them with water, to remove all the vinegar.
If you haven’t cleaned your bong for a while, and it’s rather dirty, you can leave the parts of the bong in the bags with vinegar and baking soda for a few hours, or even overnight.
- If there is some dirt left, use cotton swabs soaked in vinegar or a small brush to remove the dirt from hard-to-reach areas of the bong, then again rinse the parts with warm water.
- Next, pour a couple of tablespoons of baking soda into the bong, and add vinegar so it covers the base of the bong.
Depending on the size of the bong and the amount of dirt in it, add ½ cup or one cup of vinegar into the base of the bong and add one or two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Let the mixture of baking soda and vinegar sit for a while, and then shake the bong for a couple of minutes.
Shake the bong, but leave the top of the bong open, because the vinegar and baking soda will react, creating a foamy and fizzy reaction that will overflow the bong. It’s best to do this over a tub to avoid any mess.
During shaking, vinegar and baking soda will remove the marijuana residue and dirt from different parts of the bong.
- Finally, rinse the bong thoroughly with warm water to remove vinegar and all the residue.
After rinsing the bong and attachable parts with water let them air dry or wipe them out with a clean cloth.
This step is very important since the leftover moisture can cause the appearance of mold and bacteria.
How to Clean a Bong with Lemon Juice?
One more way to clean your bong without alcohol is to use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
After cleaning a bong with warm water, squeeze about ½ cup of lemon, add some distilled or bottled water and a few tablespoons of salt into the bong.
Shake the mixture in the bong vigorously for five minutes and then let it sit for a while. Acid from the lemon will do the trick and remove all marijuana residue and the bad smell that can be stuck in the bong.
Once you are finished, pour the mixture into the sink and rinse the bong and its parts with water. Use a clean cloth to remove moisture from the bong.
As simple as that, you can clean your bong to be as good as new.
Tips & Tricks
To sum it up, in order to keep your bong clean and this process easier, make sure to:
- Empty the water bottle after each use. This will prevent staining and not so pleasantly tasting smoke.
- Empty the bowl of the bong after each use. This will prevent dirt build up.
- Clean the mouthpiece after each use. This will reduce the occurrence of bacteria and germs.
- Clean your bong at least after a few uses, and if possible, after each use.
We are an elevated cannabis retailer, with a network of corporate owned stores, selling a curated assortment of cannabis and related products.
The Choom Gang
It began in 1979 with a group of friends on a small hawaiian island, with an even smaller van. This weed loving crew would go on to influence our world, but back then it wasn’t about the future, it was about having good times with good friends. Plenty has changed since then, but one thing remains the same; they are still sharing adventures, sparking ideas, and cultivating good times.
1. Please consume responsibly.
2. When canning any food at home (e.g. cannabutter or canna-oil) you should be very careful since there can be a risk of the appearance of toxin that can lead to botulism, a very serious illness. This happens when food is canned, processed, stored or handled. Bacteria that cause botulism can very quickly grow in cannabis edibles that are made at home. Bacteria can cause botulism poisoning which is a very serious illness that affects the body’s nerves and produces serious health consequences.